This historic antebellum home is one of the finest examples of neoclassical architecture in Alabama. It is located on CR 19 near Canton Bend a few miles west of Camden, and was built by a northerner, William T. Mathews who came to Camden by way of Haiti. Construction began in 1840 using a design by George Lynch, a local architect. It took five years to complete using both local and foreign artisans.
The home was originally surrounded by Youpon shrubs from which it derived its name. It features a large veranda supported by four fluted Doric columns and free hanging balcony with a crowfoot balustrade. Sliding interior doors and plantation windows make it possible to convert the entire first floor into a dance floor. The basic living quarters are located upstairs. And the most distinguishing feature about the home is the full basement, the only home of this era known to have this feature.
Location of home: GPS Coordinates: N32.033472,W87.368361. Copy & paste into Google Maps to obtain an interactive map showing the location.
This is a private residence – drive by only.