Advanced Search

Close Search

King Plantation House at Uriah, AL (ca. 1860)

This house originally sat upriver at Packer’s Bend and was built by a nephew of William Rufus King, U. S Vice President.  Construction on this mansion began in the late 1850′s, but the outbreak of the Civil War prevented its completion on the grand scale that it was first conceived.  Still, this house is said to have the broadest facade of any plantation home in Alabama.

The home was purchased by the late Eugene Garrett (a former legislator), dismantled, each piece of board was numbered and moved to Uriah, AL  in 1965, and rebuilt on its present site.

This home is located beside Highway 59 at Uriah, AL approximately one half mile from the intersection of Highways 59 & 21 (GPS coordinates N31.301028,W87.509194).

This is a private residence – drive by only.

Source:  Monroe County Heritage Museum

 

Similar Attractions

F. Metts Store at Monroeville, AL (built c. 1873, listed on the NRHP)

This is the oldest contributing property included on the Monroeville Downtown Historic District that’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). This building was built in Monroeville circa 1873 as the F. Metts Store. Around 1909, it was purchased by the Barnett & Jackson Hardware Company and moved to its present site. The […]

More Info

Indian Springs Baptist Church (ca. 1825) near McWilliams, AL

The Indian Springs Baptist Church is located near the McWillams community in north Monroe County.  An Indian Springs Baptist Church Historic Marker is located beside Highway 21 approximately 2-3 miles south of McWilliams (marker GPS coordinates: N31.795409,W87.093569).  The church is located 1.7 miles up the gravel road that intersects Highway 21 across from the historical […]

More Info

Lowery Store at Burnt Corn, AL

This store was built by James K. Kyser who became the Postmaster in January 1891. The Burnt Corn Post Office was located in the back left corner of the store. The upstairs of the building once served as the Burnt Corn Masonic Lodge and it was the meeting place for the Methodist from 1908 until […]

More Info