This church was founded in 1819 by Rev. Joshua Wilson. In 1854, a two-story building was built on this site. The lower floor was a church and the upper floow served as a Masonic lodge. This building was damaged by a tornado in 1911. It was rebuilt immediately as a single story building using much of the material from the original building. The Gainestown United Methodist Church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 28, 1999, due to its architectural significance.
This little church is located beside CR 29 just south of Gainestown, AL (GPS coordinates N31.442417,W87.693806)
Source: Clarke County Historical Museum