Advanced Search

Close Search

Brownstone Manor at Selma, AL (1898)

This neo-classic mansion was built in 1898.  This home was visited frequently by F. Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald (Fitzgerald authored “The Great Gatsby” among other American classics). In 1983, the third floor burned while being restored. Since then, it has been restored to its original beauty.

This home is located at  330 Lapsley Street in Selma, AL (GPS coordinates 32.408139,-87.028500).

This is a private residence – drive by only.

Source:  Selma’s Architecture History Tour (A Self-Guided Driving Tour)

Also, this home is said to be haunted by a previous resident of the house, Mrs. Hooper.  For details http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXQTWrY6lc&feature=related.

Similar Attractions

Selma - Strother House_2 (5)rdllc4s-z800(wText)

Strother House at Selma, AL (c. 1903, listed on the NRHP)

This two-and-one-half story, Queen Anne house was built in 1903 for Henry Martin Smith, a brick company owner. Built of solid brick, the house features interior walls over a foot thick. Other features of the house include a double-tiered, wraparound, porch with an onion dome roof, bracketed cornice, a rounded bay and polygonal bay, and […]

More Info
Selma - St Pauls Episcopal Church_1 (10)ll-z800

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at Selma, AL (completed 1875, listed on the NRHP)

St. Paul’s parish was founded in 1838 and consecrated in 1843. The original building was located on the corner of Alabama Avenue and Lauderdale Street, one block south of the present church building. In April 1865, following the Civil War Battle of Selma, General James H. Wilson and his raiders burned much of Selma including […]

More Info
Selma - Stollenwerck House_1 (3)lc-z800

Kelso Cottage at Selma, AL (built ca. 1866, listed on the NRHP)

This Italianate raised cottage was built ca. 1866 for H. A. Stollenwerck, a local businessman and bank owner. He sold the house a year later after the death of his wife. During the early 20th century, the house was remodeled into apartments and rented. In 1983, it was bought and restored by Bob Ed and […]

More Info