Advanced Search

Close Search

Broadhead Memorial Park at Needham, AL

This is a small park that is located at the community of Needham, AL in Choctaw County. It is proof that a park need not be large or elaborate to be a real pleasure. The park is built around the old Walter Wilson gristmill which was the center of life in Needham for decades during the early twentieth century for the people of Choctaw County. The park has a hard-surfaced and wheelchair accessible nature trail that winds through a mixed hardwood forest along the small creek that once powered the gristmill. The park also has an old dogtrot log cabin which has been carefully restored, complete with furnishings appropriate to the period. The gristmill and log cabin have interpretive displays that tell their stories.

This park is located along the creek on both side of the main road at downtown Needham, AL (GPS Coordinates N31.987278,W88.331944.)

Source: Alabama Black Belt Nature and Heritage Trail, a publication of the Alabama Bureau of Tourism & Travel

8/10/09

Similar Attractions

First Oil Well In Alabama at Gilbertown, AL

On January 2, 1944, the State of Alabama granted Hunt Oil Company a permit to drill the A. R. Jackson Well No. 1 at Gilbertown, AL.  Hunt Oil Company was owned by the famous oil man, H. L. Hunt of Dallas, Texas.  The drilling commenced on January 10, 1944, and oil was struck approximately one […]

More Info

Seventh-Day Adventists Church at Gilbertown, AL (c. 1923)

This building was built circa 1923 by Seventh-Day Adventists. They built a new church and sold this one to First United Pentecostals. The building is now privately owned. This church building is located on Main Street near downtown Gilbertown (GPS coordinates 31.876651,-88.319109). Source: Choctaw County Historical and Genealogical Society 8/10/13

More Info

Mt. Sterling Methodist Church (ca. 1859)

The Mt. Sterling Methodist Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built circa 1859 and was used for church services up until 1976, when it was donated to The Choctaw County Historical Society.  Extensive renovations were done by the Historical Society, including new wiring, plumbing, air-conditioning, and other improvements. A […]

More Info