Advanced Search

Close Search

Booker’s Mill near Evergreen, AL

Booker’s Mill is known for both its historical value and scenic beauty.  The mill, built in the 1800s by prison workers, provided electricity to the neighborhood.  It has long been closed as an electricity generating plant.  The land and the building now give the Conecuh County residents function.  It offers the residents and may visitors a taste of the past in an award winning setting.  The property is now owned by Don and Grace Stinson.

On the property was once located a water wheel, stone gristmill, and one of the first cotton gins in Conecuh County.  The gristmill and cotton gin was destroyed by fire and are no longer seen on the 250 acre property.  There are many other attractions both old and new to enjoy.  The Stinson’s have there family reunion every year on the property and many other events such as weddings are held on the property because of the “floral beauty”.

The old store that once was the hub of the community has now been converted into a meeting hall and partial museum that houses artifacts, Indian relics, and primitive tools.  There are many buildings and cabins to visit.  One of the cabins has been the Stinson family since 1887, and was built from trees on the property.

The restoration has earned the Stinson’s awards from the Alabama Forestry Commission, including the Helen Mosley Memorial Award given by the state for aesthetic beauty.

Booker’s Mill is located on CR 22 approximately 7 miles northwest of Evergreen, AL (Site GPS Coordinates N31.527028,W87.032306).

Source: Evergreen Chamber of Commerce

7/10/09

Similar Attractions

First United Methodist Church at Evergreen, AL (built 1906, listed on the NRHP)

Records indicate that a Conecuh County Circuit first appeared in the Methodist Conference in 1821.  The early church was called “Thick Woods” and was located about one mile west of Evergreen.  This church burned around 1830.  The present building was constructed in 1906 at a total cost of $6010.82.  The church included a sanctuary and […]

More Info

Lowery Store at Burnt Corn, AL

This store was built by James K. Kyser who became the Postmaster in January 1891. The Burnt Corn Post Office was located in the back left corner of the store. The upstairs of the building once served as the Burnt Corn Masonic Lodge and it was the meeting place for the Methodist from 1908 until […]

More Info

Belleville Baptist Church at Belleville, AL (ca. 1840)

This church is a two story frame building (circa 1840) with portico and external stairs leading to a slave gallery. All of the building material, lumber, brick, pews and pegs were hand made by members of the community. This Church was organized by Alexander Travis, uncle of the Alamo hero, William Barrett Travis. Alexander Travis […]

More Info