Advanced Search

Close Search

Belleville Baptist Church at Belleville, AL (ca. 1840)

This church is a two story frame building (circa 1840) with portico and external stairs leading to a slave gallery. All of the building material, lumber, brick, pews and pegs were hand made by members of the community. This Church was organized by Alexander Travis, uncle of the Alamo hero, William Barrett Travis. Alexander Travis also served as pastor at the Belleville Baptist Church for 32 years.

The Belleville Baptist Church is located just north of Hwy 84 on County Road 15 in Belleville (GPS coordinates N31.433694,W87.108167).

Similar Attractions

St. Mary’s Episcopal Church (c. 1880) at Evergreen, AL

The first Episcopalian minister came to Evergreen in December 1870.  This Episcopalian church was built circa 1880.  Prior to this, the Episcopalian congregation held their services at the Union Church which was a community church that all denominations shared.  St. Mary’s is Evergreen’s oldest church.  It is one of only a few buildings that survived […]

More Info

The Evergreen Depot at Evergreen, AL

The historic Evergreen Depot located on the old L & N Railroad line in downtown Evergreen was constructed in 1907 and ready for occupancy by March of 1908. The depot was described as an ornament to the town, and pride for everyone, the best and most ornate outside of large cities, according to a newspaper […]

More Info

Weaver Log Cabin at Evergreen, AL (ca. 1877)

This small log cabin, located in the Evergreen Municipal Park, was originally located near the community of Castleberry.  It is a section of a larger cabin built ca. 1877 by John Daniel Weaver, Jr. This section of the cabin originally served as the dining room. The Evergreen Municipal Park is located on the north side […]

More Info