The Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge, built in 1861, is one of the oldest covered bridges still existing in Alabama. It was originally constructed over the Sucarnoochee River by Confederate Army Captain William Alexander Campbell Jones on the main state road leading from Livingston to York, now U.S. Route 11. It was built using hand-hewn yellow pine timbers joined together with large wooden pegs. During the American Civil War, the bridge was used as an access route to Mississippi by Confederate forces led by General Nathan Bedford Forrest. A concrete bridge replaced the Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge in 1924, and the bridge was moved 5 miles south to the old Bellamy-Livingston Road (now CR 13) over Alamuchee Creek. It was soon given the name “Alamuchee Covered Bridge.” The bridge remained in service to motor traffic until 1958 when it was once again replaced by a concrete bridge. In 1971, the Sumter County Historical Society came to the rescue and fully restored the Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge. It was placed over Duck Pond at the University of West Alabama. The Alamuchee-Bellamy Covered Bridge now serves as a campus access route for college students. It also attracts tourist because of its roll in the history of Sumter County. It has been made wheelchair accessible, and also has lights inside the bridge for nighttime illumination.
GPS Coordinates of this covered bridge are N32.593944,W88.185861.