Advanced Search

Close Search

Akron Boys & Girls Club Complex at Akron, AL (a Rural Studio Project)

Most of Akron’s adults commute to Tuscaloosa or Greensboro for work which leaves the children to entertain and look after themselves for an extended period of time every day. Auburn University’s Rural Studio volunteered to design and build a Boys and Girls Club Complex with the hopes that it would provide a safe, educational alternative for Akron’s children. Four Rural Studio students designed and built the Akron Boys and Girls Club building.  It was completed in September 2008.  This structure has a large cylindrical roof, called a span lamella, that covers a basketball court.  This connects to a 2,500 square-foot recreation complex.

The Akron Boys and Girls Club Complex is located on 1st Avenue South on the north side of Akron (GPS coordinates N32.87766,W87.74164).


Similar Attractions

Battersea at Gallion, AL (circa 1820)

Battersea is a historic plantation house located in south Hale Count at Gallion, AL. It was built around 1820 as a two-by-two log cabin.  By the 1840s, two additional rooms were constructed at the back of the cabin.  Battersea underwent further expansions, such as the addition of a second story and a kitchen in the […]

More Info

Magnolia Grove at Greensboro, AL (ca. 1840)

Magnolia Grove, an excellent example of temple-style Greek Revival architecture, was built around 1840 as a town house by Isaac and Sarah Croom, whose plantations were about 20 miles south of Greensboro near Faunsdale. The main house and three dependencies are preserved on 15 acres. The house is a two-story masonry structure, built with bricks […]

More Info

Noel-Ramsey House at Greensboro, AL (built 1819-1821, listed on the NRHP)

The Noel-Ramsey home (also referred to as the Old French House) is the oldest home in Greensboro.  Constructed between 1819-21 by Thomas and Anne Hurtel Noel, it is the only surviving residence built by settlers of the Vine and Olive Colony.  The house is a contributing property to the Greensboro Historic District that’s listed on […]

More Info