Advanced Search

Close Search
Attractions | All Listings
kirkwood1

Kirkwood at Eutaw, AL (late 1850s, recorded on HABS and listed on the NRHP.)

Kirkwood is a historic antebellum plantation mansion located in Eutaw. It is a Greek Revival style house with Italianate influences. The house has two primary floors and a large cupola crowning the low-pitched hipped roof. The roof eaves are ornamented with wooden brackets. A monumentally scaled portico with Ionic columns wraps around two sides of […]

More Info
Eutaw - Dew Abrams House_1 (4)lcclbbyccy-z-489s

Dew Abrams House at Eutaw, AL (ca. 1832)

Duncan Dew was a well-known planter and business man of Eutaw, AL. He came to Eutaw in 1822 and built this house about 1832. It is L-shaped and has elaborate interior wood trim. The house, at one time, had a two-story portico which was later exchanged for a porch with slender colonettes. That porch was […]

More Info
Camden - Old Jail_2b (27)fc-z800(wText)

Old Wilcox County Jail at Camden, AL (built 1889, listed on the NRHP)

This building was Wilcox County ‘s third county jail.  It was constructed in 1889 by LY Tarrant for $4800. In 1960, jail operations were moved to a new facility. It is rare to find old jails still standing in Alabama, especially one with the features of this building.  It contains superb brickwork and an ornate wooden […]

More Info
Camden - Dale Masonic Lodge - orig_sfsclcb-z800(wText)

Dale Masonic Lodge at Camden, AL (built ca. 1848, recorded in HABS and CSAS)

The Dale Masonic Lodge organized at Dale Town (later Prairie Bluff) in 1827. When the town declined in the 1840s, members voted to move the lodge to Camden. The Dale Masonic Lodge building was built circa 1848. Union troops camped in the lodge while passing through Camden in 1865. In 1936, the building was photographed and recorded […]

More Info
Gainesville - Coffin Shop_2b (6)_JclcBcb-z800

The Coffin Shop at Gainesville, AL (built ca. 1860-1870, listed on the NRHP)

This was the showroom for coffins of builder, Edward Kring. Here you would pick out your material and wood for your coffin which would then be custom built. Mr. Kring was probably the busiest builder in Gainesville in the 1870s, building both the Methodist and Episcopal Churches as well as several homes and businesses. It […]

More Info
???????????????????????????????

Dixons Mills United Methodist Church at Dixons Mills, AL (built ca. 1912)

The Dixons Mills United Methodist Church was constructed around 1912 and it was the first church built in the community.  Prior to 1912, Sunday School was a community wide activity for all denominations held in the old school house – Dixon’s Mills Academy. This little church is located beside Hwy 43 in Dixons Mills. AL […]

More Info
Dayton - Boddie Law Office_5 (4)rclc-z800

“Boddie” Law Office at Dayton, AL (built c. 1858, listed on the Alabama Register)

This small brick building, known as the “Boddie” Law Office, is one of the few remaining buildings in Dayton, AL.  It was built by Oliver B. Boddie and his brother, John E. Boddie around 1858.  These brothers were graduates of the Cumberland School of Law in Tennessee and both owned large plantations near Dayton.  This […]

More Info

Healing Springs at Millry, AL (site of overflowing wells that contain water that cures all ailments)

Healing Springs, located near Millry, AL, was a thriving resort in the early 1900s. Located at this site were 33 overflowing springs and the water from these springs was supposed to have “healing” powers. People from far away came by train and other means seeking cures to all types of ailments. The healing powers of […]

More Info
Selma - Burns-Bell Hse (412 Lauderdale)_1 (13)c1_lccls-z800(wText)

Burns-Bell House at Selma, AL (built prior to 1847, listed on the NRHP)

Built prior to 1847, this is a two-story, Italianate home that has a full-height porch with front gable. Exterior features of the house include bay windows with a flat-cut balustrade on the first floor and second-story windows with trimmed hoods and balconets (railings outside the window that give the appearance of a balcony). The interior […]

More Info
Selma -YMCA Building_1 (8)qcl2-z800(wText)

Old YMCA Building at Selma, AL (built c. 1885, listed on the NRHP)

Selma is home to Alabama’s first Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) that was founded in 1858, and this is the oldest YMCA building still standing in the state. Built in 1885, the historic structure was in danger of demolition when it was purchased by the Selma-Dallas County Historic Preservation Society in 2012. Since then, the […]

More Info
St Stephens - St Stephens Historical Park-fYGfccc2s-z800(wText)

“Indian Bathtubs” at Old St. Stephens Historical Park in Washington County, AL.

The origin of these man-made pits is uncertain. Some say the Choctaw carved them out. Some say it was the Spanish. The “Indian Bathtubs” are included in Alabama’s Tapestry of Historic Places 1978 published by the Alabama Historical Commission. GPS coordinates of the “Indian Bathtubs” are 31.559501, -88.041738. CLICK HERE for details about Old St. Stephens Historical […]

More Info
Greensboro - Downtown_1 (27)b3s-z(wText)c4c-z800(wText)

Greensboro Hotel Building at Greensboro, AL (built early 1830s, listed on the NRHP)

Once an elegant downtown hotel, the Greensboro Hotel remains a local landmark. Impressive brickwork is its most significant feature. Brick-arched doors and windows stand out prominently. The hotel began as a two-story building with “Flemish bond” bricklaying – a decorative pattern created by alternating short and long sides of brick. This type of brickwork indicates […]

More Info