As early as 1843, the Methodists of Uniontown had purchased a lot on Water Street and a church had been erected before the summer of 1844. This building was used until 1858 when the present two-story brick building was erected. The second or main floor rests on the low basement level thus giving the appearance of a one-story building from the front. Today, this Greek Revival-style building appears much the same on the outside as it did when it was built with the exception of the windows. The present stained glass windows were added during a 1921 renovation. The original steeple on the church was removed at some point because it was believed that its weight was causing cracks in the front walls of the church. However, a lighter weight steeple was placed back on the church in 1971. Upstairs remains much the same except the gas chandeliers were replaced with electric lights and new pews were added during the 1921 renovation. The ceiling is vaulted with beaded wood. Swinging wooden doors have replaced the swinging black leather doors that once served as entries into the sanctuary. The Uniontown United Methodist Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) as a contributing property to the Uniontown Historic District.
This church is located beside highway 61 at the corner of at the intersection of Highway 61 and North Street in Uniontown (GPS coordinates 32.452830, -87.514775).
CLICK HERE for a Google street view showing this church.
Source: Perry County Heritage, Volume II