The Calaboose was built ca. 1905-25. It is a small, single-pen jail that’s constructed with stacked 2×4 boards. It has one door in the south wall and small windows cut into the east and west walls. The door is nail-studded stacked 2×4 boards and the windows are barred with iron. The Calaboose was used as a “holding cell”. Thomaston locals recall stories about how this old jail was used in the 1920s to lock up local drunks.
The Calaboose is a contributing property to the Thomaston Central Historic District which was added to the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) on September 14, 2000. It is located in Thomaston one block south of Highway 28 on First Avenue (GPS coordinates 32.265848, -87.623607).
Source: NRHP Form for the Thomaston Central Historic District